THE CORNER BOOK BLOG

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Aloha Quilt


The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini is the latest in the Elm Creek Quilt series.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about this book. I have loved all the ECQ books but my absolute favorites are the ones set in the distant past. The Runaway Quilt continues to be my all-time favorite. But the issue I had with this book was it was to focus on a single character. Ms. Chiaverini did a book called Round Robin that gave each character a section of their own. But this time it would be the entire book. I wasn't sure how I would feel about leaving the other characters behind.

But I climbed on the plane with Bonnie and headed over to Hawaii with an open mind.

And I had a blast! The descriptions had me feeling like I was there. I could almost see Diamond Head, the hula dancers and the beautiful Hawaiian quilts. I could feel the breeze as I sat on the lanai. I could taste the fresh pineapple (helps that I've had fresh pineapple lol).

Bonnie goes to Hawaii to help her college roommate start Aloha Quilt Camp. Using her experience as an Elm Creek Quilter, she helps Claire plan classes, hire teachers and plan evening activities. Along the way she has to deal with her no good soon to be ex-husband Craig. Feeling he has no other way to get to Bonnie he hits her where he knows it will hurt - he wants half of her share in Elm Creek Quilts. (No spoilers here - these things are in the book jacket and online bookseller reviews).

Oh and of course the Elm Creek Quilts ladies do show up here and there so we aren't completely without them.

So hop on board and head over to Hawaii where Bonnie spends her time with Claire, Claire's husband Eric, Claire's cook Midori, Midori's nephew Hinano (oh, a handsome single man Bonnie's age) and the beautiful scenery.

Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment